Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Any gas fitters here?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Off-Topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SloggingScotsman

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:43 am    Post subject: Any gas fitters here? Reply with quote

If so could use your experience.

We have recently had a new Combi gas boiler fitted, properly by professionals. They have been very good.

However there is (to me and my family) a seriously nasty smell coming from the boiler when it ignites to heat the water (and only during use). Two gas chaps have confirmed it is not gas. One thinks he smells a condensing smell, and is arranging to have some extra kit fitted outside to hope to cure it. But if that doesn’t work he is not sure what next. It is not helped by neither gas chap smelling it as acutely as we do.

To give you an idea when I came down before six this morning, the water had been heating for 45 minutes or so. The whole ground floor stunk. I had to open windows, don’t really be wanting to do that in winter.

Maybe we just have a better sense of smell than two gas chaps do, for while they could smell it, they did not seem to think it was a problem. But for me, and family it is unliveable.

A quick google search also suggests possible lack of water in a condensing trap can cause such smells. It would be easier if the gas men smelt a stench as we do!

Didn’t have this problem with old boiler, which they tell me wasn’t condensing.

At least I know it isn’t gas. Anyhow anyone any relevant experience that could offer possibilities? Apart from getting new noses in the family.

My concern is that with the gas installers not really smelling it as accutely as we do, our landlord (who is very good) may understandably just think that I am whining (ejc control yourself). I really don’t want to have to live with this.

In case relevant the boiler is a week old.

On the bright side I have found one smell which my family seem acutely sensitive to. (Difficult to describe beyond window opening obnoxious, it starts a few minutes after ignition).

Anyone? Thanks.
Something real bad happens to US during Trumps 2nd term..75%
Michelle Obama president in 2024...65%
In the next 10 years ww3 will start..47%.
SloggingScotsman

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In case anyone here ever has the same problem I will post the solution.

The corner where our flue? Goes outside is remarkably windy. A snorkel has been attached (looks a bit like a ww1 trench observation thingy) to keep the outflow well away from the inflow.

Sorted.

It was condensing smell.
Something real bad happens to US during Trumps 2nd term..75%
Michelle Obama president in 2024...65%
In the next 10 years ww3 will start..47%.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Off-Topic All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: