Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Ironman - Market saturation or decline?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jorgan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 2019 Barcelona event is sold out, so a bit moot at the moment! Draftfests sell-out every time Very Happy
Poet.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
The 2019 Barcelona event is sold out, so a bit moot at the moment!

I need things to think about whilst on the bike...
mattsurf

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many 70.3 events are already sold out this year.

Greece, Mallorca, Rapperswil, Luxembourg, Les Sables d'Olonne

This could be due to the 70.3 WC in Nice, and many dreamers (like me) trying to qualify

I can also see that many of the full IM events are also sold out, Nice, Frankfurt, Barcelona etc

Has the sport reached saturation, I don't think so. Ironman has created a market for One and Done competitors, which I feel does devalue the sport, and makes it very difficult for non IM branded races to succeed

Yes and Ironman is expensive, however, the cost of the race for many people is just a small component when you consider the cost of 9 months+ coaching, airfairs, hotel, equipment, nutrition and supplements that you MUST take when training, subscriptions to Zwift, Strava, Training Peaks, Trainer Road, the latest Turbo Trainer and on and on
Jorgan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattsurf wrote:
the cost of the race for many people is just a small component when you consider the cost of 9 months+ coaching, airfairs, hotel, equipment, nutrition and supplements that you MUST take when training, subscriptions to Zwift, Strava, Training Peaks, Trainer Road, the latest Turbo Trainer and on and on

Very Happy
Buzz_

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If ease and cost of logistics is your primary concern, then surely go for IMUK or Wales? Flight to Barcelona might be £60, but you still have to drive to the airport, pay for parking, taxi / hire a car in Spain. Bolton logistics are going to be easier and cheaper.

Weather should be better, although there have been some pretty rough races in the Balearics the last few years. Family might be easier to get on board, and obviously it’s a faster course, so more chance of bagging (bragging?) a 9Madx:xx
Jorgan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buzz_ wrote:
If ease and cost of logistics is your primary concern, then surely go for IMUK or Wales? Flight to Barcelona might be £60, but you still have to drive to the airport, pay for parking, taxi / hire a car in Spain. Bolton logistics are going to be easier and cheaper.

Weather should be better, although there have been some pretty rough races in the Balearics the last few years. Family might be easier to get on board, and obviously it’s a faster course, so more chance of bagging (bragging?) a 9Madx:xx

Actually once there, the Barcelona (Calella) logistics are very easy; it's all in one small tourist town, which is a big plus for companions/family. Even more convenient than Austria.

I haven't done the race, otherwise I'd have a low-9 PB Rolling Eyes Wink Laughing I was injured for the first Challenge Barcelona, but went along anyway as a holiday. Trains from Airport to Calella also easy peasy. Just watch out for pick pockets at train stations/on trains!!
stenard

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poet. wrote:
Bike is £90 return (does your wetsuit, helmet, shoes, spares etc all fit in a bike box?)

Flight is under £50 from John Lennon - which is incredible value!!!

Easyjet bike boxes give you 32kg's. I can get everything in that. I have done so for a week long training camp before, alongside hand luggage.
Poet.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers stenard, that’s something to mull over for me.

(Though driving the 20 minutes to Bolton will probably win)
Jorgan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poet. wrote:
Cheers stenard, that’s something to mull over for me.

(Though driving the 20 minutes to Bolton will probably win)

Personally, I think you should do the overseas destination race thing at least once; you owe it to yourself. Driving 20 min to Bolton is unlikely to provide you with the experience you're seeking vis-à-vis the 'Ironman thing'. If you work a full week, for a few months, you should be able to fund it Wink
Poet.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
If you work a full week, for a few months, you should be able to fund it Wink

Ha ha ha, this is very true Shocked

I really do want to draft my way to a sub-10 at Barcelona, plus, we both like it over there, having been there half a dozen times now.

But flying stresses me out at the best of times, as does fiddling with my bike and adjusting it.
The sea swim also puts me off a little.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poet. wrote:
Jorgan wrote:
If you work a full week, for a few months, you should be able to fund it Wink

Ha ha ha, this is very true Shocked

I really do want to draft my way to a sub-10 at Barcelona, plus, we both like it over there, having been there half a dozen times now.

But flying stresses me out at the best of times, as does fiddling with my bike and adjusting it.
The sea swim also puts me off a little.

Drive to a German race then; maybe not quite the draft-party of Barcelona, but all of the Germanic courses are fast compared to Bolton.
stenard

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Ironman - Market saturation or decline? Reply with quote

I know it wasn't in your original time period Jorgan, but Wales has now sold out as well. That's c8 months ahead of when it sold out last year!

That's a big surprise to me, and would suggest no decline at all. It also can't be people looking for an "easy" way to getting a tat.
hammerer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Ironman - Market saturation or decline? Reply with quote

stenard wrote:
I know it wasn't in your original time period Jorgan, but Wales has now sold out as well. That's c8 months ahead of when it sold out last year!

That's a big surprise to me, and would suggest no decline at all. It also can't be people looking for an "easy" way to getting a tat.

Wales has a reputation now, so it will attract a lot of longer term athletes who want a challenge. I recon its also attracting those that want an early route in to Kona the following year with less competition.
SGreg

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Ironman - Market saturation or decline? Reply with quote

hammerer wrote:
stenard wrote:

Wales has a reputation now, so it will attract a lot of longer term athletes who want a challenge. I recon its also attracting those that want an early route in to Kona the following year with less competition.

It's had all that for a few years now, and in 2017 it didn't sell out at ALL! Sign-ups available on the day.

There is little difference between Wales 2017 and 2019 so it would suggest there is NO saturation?
Jorgan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding Tenby. A few points:

- Iconic event with great support.
- Domestic entries up due to travel costs and Brexit uncertainty.
- It's one event, not a trend.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: