Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Your First 70.3
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Training
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Barryc

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:26 pm    Post subject: Your First 70.3 Reply with quote

Stepping up to 70.3 this year more specifically the lakesman half. How did you all find your first half?

What plan did you follow? Did you actually follow it or complete 70% of it
What do you wish you knew before starting training that you know now?
Did you have a time goal or just to finish?
Did you have a race day plan? Did it work
Did you have a nutrition stagedgy did it work, what would you do different now?
Overall what’s the single best advice you could have given to yourself at any point during your journey to completing your first 70.3?

Sorry for all the questions but I find people on here will give a much better idea of what to expect than the typical tri mag write ups

Thanks
Muriel

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Your First 70.3 Reply with quote

Barryc wrote:
Stepping up to 70.3 this year more specifically the lakesman half. How did you all find your first half?

Overall what’s the single best advice you could have given to yourself at any point during your journey to completing your first 70.3?

Sorry for all the questions but I find people on here will give a much better idea of what to expect than the typical tri mag write ups

Thanks

In direct answer to your questions:

Printed a plan off the internet and followed it like glue only I didnt. I ticked every session off but nowhere near the intensity needed. The whole training process was effectively junk miles.

No goal, just dont be rubbish and finish. I was rubbish but i did finish.

No plan, just literally get round.

Absolutely zero nutrition plan. Drink when thirsty and eat when hungry. I ignored both.

Dont waste time training for the sake of training. If you enjoy it then do it, if you can't be bothered then dont because you'll get on something like a turbo trainer and churn out junk.

Best advice would be to pick an amazing race for your first. I did St Poelten. And whils I messed it right up it was a stunning race. Sounds like you've got the same with Lakesman.
PCP

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bala middle was my 1st. Things I would change - bike less hard, drink more.

Last edited by PCP on Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:36 am; edited 1 time in total
mattsurf

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did my first 70.3 at the end of my first season, age 44

I started the season with sprints, and moved onto Olympic distance, probably did something like 3 sprints and 5 ODs

I did not follow a training program, however, I was a member of a local tri club and swam twice a week, ran once a week and cycled once a week with them. I also tried to get a few bike rides and runs in on my own. I was training about 7 hours per week

My biggest mistake was to try to smash every session, as a result, often suffered from running injuries. I also think that I did too many events

When I did my first 70.3 I had not run a half marathon for 20 years, this was probably not the best preparation

Advice... at this time of year focus on Swim Technique and building a solid running base. doing some structured workouts on the Turbo Trainer with a focus on increasing your ftp, Zwift is fun, but you need to follow some of the structured workouts rather than just ride/race

I did have a target of 5h45m which I did beat by 5 mins - I took my OD time, doubled it and added 45 mins, strangely the equation still holds true for me as I am double my OD plus 40 mins
Chrace

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Advise would depend on your background really. If you're already fit(-ish) then more specific race thinking, otherwise just get some base. And then some more base.

Any hills on the Lakesman? Even small bumps? If so it depends on where you live and whether you can train in similar conditions.

Best things I did:
- Some training, in the priority of nutrition/bike/run/swim
- Drive the route in a car seeing how hilly it was
- Have complete ignorance of what I was getting in to
- Have complete focus on the finish line and not my position

Worst things I did:
- Not enough long (80k+) bike rides
- Drive the route in a car the day before noting how f*&%£ing hilly it was

I think I made my own training plan fitting around my holidays and family life.

Biggest difference between Oly and Half is that you must eat. Some kind of calorie intake is required. Start using whatever you plan to use on race day even on smaller runs and bikes. Your body needs to get used to working on food and effort, and you need to know how it feels to do so.
mattsurf

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chrace wrote:

Biggest difference between Oly and Half is that you must eat. Some kind of calorie intake is required. Start using whatever you plan to use on race day even on smaller runs and bikes. Your body needs to get used to working on food and effort, and you need to know how it feels to do so.

Whatever you think that you are eating and drinking, I can pretty much guarantee that it is not enough. Even today, now that I am much more aware of how much nutrition and fluid I need I still struggle to to do enough.

Getting this aspect right will make far more difference to your performance than spending money on the world's fastest bike
Poet.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beginner Triathlete here:
https://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/training/training-plans-view.asp?planid=16&memberlevel=1

It was far too prescriptive for what I knew of training at the time. I invariably swapped sessions to fit, leading to not recovering well enough, plus missed sessions.

There are no shortcuts. When the plans say you should have 1-3 years of triathlon experience/endurance training behind you, they ain't kidding.
Follow the cookie cutter plan if starting from nothing:

Year 1/2: 5km, 10km, sprint tri, half marathon
Year 2/3: 10km, sprint tri, 25TT, Oly tri
Year 3/4: half marathon, 50TT, 70.3

Or something like that

Time goal, under 5:30. Hit it.

Yes. and yes. It was well practised and I knew what I needed to do.

Yes and yes.
Once I'd done a few, I realised I could get by on far less calories;
A gel 20 mins before the swim
A gel after the swim in T1
1.5l of something on the bike - High5/SiS
Probably throw in a bar after an hour on the bike, solely to alleviate the boredom
Run - swig something every 15-20 minutes, gel at start of run and after 40 minutes

Overall, what’s the *single* best advice you could have given to yourself at any point during your journey to completing your first 70.3?
Find a plan that works for you and make sure that it's dynamic.
tin pot

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: Your First 70.3 Reply with quote

How did you all find your first half?

Super

I analysed all free plans and forum advice and created a plan that fitted my life/work

That you could burn out doing a half before a full

Goal was 6:30-7:00. Result was 5:57.

Yes, but nothing complex: Find feet, eat well, pace as for ironman not half.

No, I couldn’t catch the drink or food on the bike so I went without until the final station - this had no perceivable negative effect.

Train for a full distance, the fear will get you there for a half easily.
Sprint '16 1h17, '14 1h40, '13 2h01
Half Mara '16 2h04, '14 2h07
10K ‘18 50:31 '16 54:01 '13 54:46
Doca

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Outlaw half, loved it. The run hurt a lot and cam in just under 5 hours.

I've never followed a plan for triathlon. I think it is better to establish a routine that works around your life. In general terms more is better. What are your weaknesses, work more on those.

Ha, that this would take over my life.

Your first half you will be purely guessing at a time. Finish knowing you did yourself justice.

Mostly. I wasn't prepared for the last 10km of the run though.

I ate energy bars on the bike 60g/carbs/hour. Now I have only liquid nutrition that has a lot of salt.

Run a lot more in training. Use liquid nutrition.
mw22

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Your First 70.3 Reply with quote

How did you all find your first half? Brutally painful after smashing the bike and cramping within first mile on run
What plan did you follow? None, only signed up a month after first Oly. Crammed some longer rides (but had ok level of fitness)
What do you wish you knew before starting training that you know now? Pace the bike. Eat and drink before you need to
Did you have a time goal or just to finish? Finish was plan A, but had times I hoped to acheive.
Did you have a race day plan? No, winged it. No, 13 miles of run cramps!
Did you have a nutrition stagedgy did it work, what would you do different now? Eat and drink regular. Speedfil bottle with a straw shoved in my face so I don't forget
Overall what’s the single best advice you could have given to yourself at any point during your journey to completing your first 70.3? Don't race other people - find your own pace
Chrace

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattsurf wrote:
Chrace wrote:

Whatever you think that you are eating and drinking, I can pretty much guarantee that it is not enough. Even today, now that I am much more aware of how much nutrition and fluid I need I still struggle to to do enough.

Getting this aspect right will make far more difference to your performance than spending money on the world's fastest bike

But it's sooo much less bling. Smile

Remember to drop the race intensity 10-20% as well btw. Just to take the top off your effort. An oly can just about be forced through but a forced half is likely ending up as a DNF. Play the long game, try let it all just "flow", and the last 10k of the run will feel a lot less like hell and possibly even enjoyable.

Best thing about half is that if you get 3 or 4 of them under your belt you have all the knowledge you need to go for a full IM. Oly will not prepare you for that.
Poet.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chrace wrote:
Best thing about half is that if you get 3 or 4 of them under your belt you have all the knowledge you need to go for a full IM.

Not in my experience.
Moving for that length of time is totally different to anything I've ever done - maybe a 12 hour ride would prepare you for it?
Or a 24 hour hike (to feel the last 10km of the run)
But, until you've done it, for me, a 70.3 doesn't come close.
Chrace

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poet. wrote:
Chrace wrote:
Best thing about half is that if you get 3 or 4 of them under your belt you have all the knowledge you need to go for a full IM.

Not in my experience.
Moving for that length of time is totally different to anything I've ever done - maybe a 12 hour ride would prepare you for it?
Or a 24 hour hike (to feel the last 10km of the run)
But, until you've done it, for me, a 70.3 doesn't come close.

I did say "knowledge" though. Wink You still need more training and more confidence. But for me that came with doing some more half distance races making me know my body better.

My first half and my first IM felt similar at the end, and both had the same focus on resource management over merely smashing away to gain speed.
Poet.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chrace wrote:
...focus on resource management...

OK, I will give you that one.
Jgav

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK but harder than expected. I picked a hilly and tough course it was also one of the hottest days of the year - lots of DNFs.

No specific plan other than build up distance and do some long brick sessions. I did a metric brick of 54k and 13k.

Long distance training counts for a lot at 70.3 - there are no shortcuts and intensity isn't a suitable substitute.

Mostly just to finish but I also had a time goal - no I didn't make it.

Mostly - the final 10k was hell.

Did you have a nutrition strategy did it work, what would you do different now?
Gel before swim - gel every 20 mins on the bike - bottle every hour - drink/eat as much as possible on the run. Race was so hot that it wasn't enough salt - cramped in final 5k

Do some even longer days - learn to take in more salt.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Training All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: