Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
New car dilemma
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Off-Topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gus

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diesel?

My 15 minutes of fame
Tony Stark

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't you people have better things to do with the cash?
I got a 10yr old 1-owner Suzuki SX4 for £800. Spend about £40 per year on oil & filters. Head gasket blew after 30K (160K on the clock). Got a whole scrap car with 36K on clock for £120 delivered to my driveway. Swapped the engine (paid a mate £200 to help me) and sold a load of the other bits to make £80 profit overall, plus kept a couple of really expensive spares like ECU/ABS pump, cat. Done another 14K so far and still going nicely. That's how I roll!
Roscoemck

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony Stark wrote:
I got a 10yr old 1-owner Suzuki SX4 for £800. Spend about £40 per year on oil & filters. Head gasket blew after 30K (160K on the clock). Got a whole scrap car with 36K on clock for £120 delivered to my driveway. Swapped the engine (paid a mate £200 to help me) and sold a load of the other bits to make £80 profit overall, plus kept a couple of really expensive spares like ECU/ABS pump, cat. Done another 14K so far and still going nicely. That's how I roll!

I love the idea of Bangernomics, however, have no mechanical aptitude at all. It's the cost of any repairs that stop me buying something cheap and cheerful as a runaround.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony Stark wrote:

D'ah bro, that's why I bought another Subaru. I bought my Legacy (new & tax free) in 2007, and it's still in my ownership, and going strong. But I get your drift.
explorerJC

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony Stark wrote:

you use time....others use cash...

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2018 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
Jorgan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gus wrote:
Diesel?

Yes, although petrol would have been my preference. Still not many petrol Outbacks on SH market, particularly in top trim level. From this year they are Petrol only, so supply will increase over time. Petrol hasn't been popular in Europe for the last 20 years, but the tide is turning.
FatPom

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
Have to admit to being a Subaru convert, and I like the niche aspect, and the fact that Japanese cars are well specced in top trim and the reliability (touches wood).

This is exactly why I could never buy a Subaru, every flannel wearing, Winnie Blue smoking Bogan in Australia has one. Just as well have Southern Cross tattoo on your forehead and a picture of Pauline Hanson on the wall. Very Happy
Jorgan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FatPom wrote:
Jorgan wrote:
Have to admit to being a Subaru convert, and I like the niche aspect, and the fact that Japanese cars are well specced in top trim and the reliability (touches wood).

This is exactly why I could never buy a Subaru, every flannel wearing, Winnie Blue smoking Bogan in Australia has one. Just as well have Southern Cross tattoo on your forehead and a picture of Pauline Hanson on the wall. Very Happy

I have absolutely no idea what you just said there Wink But in the UK, Subaru has become bit of an older persons car these days; like Honda.

If you have completely given-up on life, then you buy Mazda or Vauxhall.
FatPom

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
FatPom wrote:
Jorgan wrote:

I have absolutely no idea what you just said there Wink But in the UK, Subaru has become bit of an older persons car these days; like Honda.

Bogan = Chav. Winnie Blues = Winfield ciggies.

I actually liked some of the old station wagons they used to do but a mate at work has a Levorg and it doesn't resemble any of the nice things I remember about them in Oz. Plus he gets terrible MPG (petrol auto).

I have a 2005, 92km, bronze (more like beige) diesel Renault Scenic. trust me, absolutely nothing screams given up life more than this thing. All that's missing is a box of tissues and a noddy dog on the parcel shelf Crying or Very sad

I did plan to change it but impending house purchase it'll need to run for one more year.

Just bought Mrs FP a second hand Nissan Note 1.5 auto Tekna for the school run. She even has one of those fancy buttons that pulls the mirrors in! ooh lala Very Happy
gingerbongo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
FatPom wrote:
Jorgan wrote:

I was looking at trading in the BMW X1 for a Mazda 6 this year! I quite like them! haha, and i'm only 34. Never actually got around to sorting anything out though, and the mrs (who has basically bagged it since we bought it) isn't so keen on going to a 'proper' estate!

I've got my fix though with an old 06 plate Pug 407sw 2.0 HDi jobby. It's a pile of crap and the turbo is all blocked, so it drives like a very slow and heavy petrol that can barely get up hills. I can't bare to spend the few hundred quid it's going to need as ever penny is being thrown into the house extension project that starts in January.

I should fix it really though!!
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Off-Topic All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: