Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk

Update
Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:12 pm Paolo
Never bother updating this probably cause I have nothing interesting to say!

Anyhows, purchased a new garmin/running gear and been pounding decent mielage back to back each weekend..

Now, time to tame the Gin Pit - if I can get through the mud, I will be a happy man Very Happy Very Happy

Monster Ultra 29 Sept
Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:16 pm Paolo
1st ever ultra for me this one and wanted to say thanks for the Monster crew for accepting my entry, promised I would train and respect the distance and I did!!

Absolutely no structure to my training other than run run and run, slowly of course and a bit of walking thrown in for good measure. With family commitments and work, I found myself upping the time and distance on my Saturday effort followed by a rough 8 to 12 mile faster paced effort on the Sunday. Putting numbers on things, the slower effort averaged out at 10 min miles and the faster effort at a Mo Farah paced 9 min miles. So time allowed for 2 runs per week.

3 weeks out from the event I found myself thinking Christ this has come round damn quick. Decided to go for a 25 mile Saturday run and was very happy to complete in 4:30 and felt good and fairly strong when finished, recovery was couple of days so felt positive. The Thursday evening saw me do 10.5 miles and I followed this up on the Friday morning with the same effort, hard week for me and by far the highest mileage. Taper time, never done that before and took it literally and did sod all till the race!!!!

Race morning saw the Normal pre run meal of a cuppa and a bowl of cornflakes, high carb stuff eh. The week leading up though I was pizza and pasta monster every day.........

Registration was smooth as ever with the Monster events and in a hotel function room, all friendly with a lot of fit looking people, why is it everyone else looks fitter than you feel eh? Had the pleasure of meeting and chatting with Macalad and before we knew it we were stood outside Ely cathedral waiting for the off ski..........boom and we were off.

Results indicate there were around 35 starters and about 25 steamed off and I mean steamed ahead. The initial 5k took us through the town and alongside the river, then onto a trail path still following the river whilst dodging cow pats and the fearsome 'Bull' that was lurking somewhere. For those completed the Monster middle pretty certain the same part of the run route. Even though it were shortly after 8am the sun was out and I felt the heat was gonna play a part.

My tactic really was to run/walk/eat/drink and smile. I was determined not to run for longer than 20 mins without a short break, as this was my first ultra I was determined to finish without influencing any sort of 'bonk' if I could walk and stave it off. After about 4 miles without a break and far longer than 20 mins I got chatting away to Chris, a man doing Dusk to Dawn and a very late entrant to the Monster as he fancied a training run......this helped me nicely as the early miles were behind us, the leaders miles ahead and we were in a groups of 3/4 pushing on. The 1st aid station came and went, cheeky cup of coke, top up on water and then off again.

The next section was trail, cycle path and grass with a cheeky climb over a Gate into the bull field, never run so bloody fast in my life!!! Nutrition wise was going well, snickers, mars, fizzles and water with electrolyte keeping me moving.....kinda found myself along from mile 17ish alongside a dusty trail path heading into Cambridge but not too worried as the Mrs and kids were at halfway ready to cheer me on. The heat began to creep up so I walked a good mile and a bit but were not concerned, I got to halfway in 3:55 and was pretty good.

Difficult for me as a novice and perhaps slightly lacking in the mental department as had to leave the kids and redo the route in reverse. Set off on my own and soon recognised as I past runners still not at halfway, that there we're 6/7 behind me, made me feel positive although the legs at this stage were telling me not to run, with the heat I though stuff it walk till I fancy it......unfortunately this turned into about 2 more miles and the avg was dropping off.

To get myself moving a nice Marshall on a bike cycled alongside me, cheers buddy it helped. Before I knew it,the earphones were in, Metallica having it in my ears and I were moving again nicely......so nicely I failed to go left when I should of and ended up adding a good 4/5 miles - silly Paolo lack of concentration. Mentally this was tough as I was lost, called in and worked out where I should go, also cheers to the bloke washing his car he also confirmed the route to take!! When back on route, caught up with 'Nick' the pork pie man,it was his fuel for the ultras, tried and tested he assured me.......he was struggling badly with blisters and we kind of helped each other with a run to the tree, run to the plant, run for ten second sand the miles were counting down.

Left the last check point at 7:40 in and struggled onwards with the same strategy, which was move forwards at all times....!! Bout 4 miles from the end, Nick told me to carry on as he was stopping for a stretch, it was all I needed to be told, I was off and running as the wind was up, I was getting cold and I really just wanted to see my kids at the end so they could be proud of me. I was happiest fella about finishing in 10:15 before darkness fell...........

Great event, doing it in 2014 as got at least 2 hours to come off that time and entered in the Gin Pit both days next March. Fantastic start and finish spot outside the cathedral and a nice flat route.....

First ever race report so bear with me on any lack of details, as am sure there's loads!!!

Working on a semi race report for the ultra - keep tuned in
Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:19 pm Paolo
Very soon...

Sheer Embarassment....
Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:00 pm Paolo
Injury!!!

Not sure what hurts more, my left leg or the huge dent in my dignity, pride and embarrassment!!

To enter my floor at work we have a nice automated door, naturally being such an impatient fool, as it opened I went to nip in…the beast of a door then froze and I slammed my leg straight in to it….

Naturally this made the loudest noise and everyone looked up, the limp of shame back to the desk was a classic moment….oh I am sure this will be remembered till someone else does a classic move.

Think I will have to try to run this dead leg off over a short distance...

More running....
Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:54 pm Paolo
Fantastic weekend away down in the New Forest with good friends and their children…..put me in a positive mood returning home Monday afternoon.

I looked out the window, saw snow on roof tops and a chill in the air but noticed no snow/ice on the pavement…means I can run!!!

On went the base layers, many of them and out I went.

I completed 15 miles in 2:17 using a solid 17.5 min run and 2.5 min walk - very pleased with that, although I did underfuel and struggled towards the end. Must look to address this on Friday's run - flapjack and mini mars bar me up I reckon….

1st Session complete
Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:09 pm Paolo
First "Ultra" training session complete - I normally plod along at 8 min miles for anything between 9 to 11 miles dependant on my state of mind.

Following the threads on tri-talk I knew I would have to slow down and look to adapt to a run/walk strategy from the outset - amazing how difficult it is to get your mind to accept that you will walk and walking is correct to do!!

I set off slowly, around 9 min miles, would of preferred slower but it’s a start. I ran 17.5 mins and walked 2.5 mins, easier for my simple mind to work in 20 minute segments!!

Completed around 12 miles and felt a lot fresher at the end and today than I normally would by plodding out the whole distance. Going to look to get a 10k under my belt, perhaps Wednesday evening and then look to continue with the same strategy for 2.5 hours next weekend.

Happy with that for now….

Ultra!!!
Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:19 pm Paolo
At the start of the year I had many events lined up in mind, mostly middle distance triathlons as I do like a plod.

Here we are in March and other than a fair bit of running, I have had no motivation to get down the pool, not that I ever did, or get out on the bike (poor thing is locked away in the garage all cold and alone).

Decided to push the running as I seem to have found something I can do moderately ok and touch wood remain injury free from….

2013 is now the year of no triathlons but Paolo's 1st ever adventure into the world of Ultra running. Recent months I have read with awe people's tales of long distance triathlons, double, triple, that mad 10 day thing and of course the Thames100 of which I am again following with interest this year.

Today I paid my monies, all £35 of it and I'm in the Monster Ultra at Ely…did their first middle, so only natural to do their first Ultra!

It’s a 45 mile effort and I have 6 months to rise to the challenge. Present efforts at 13 miles, around 1:50, so will need to slow down, walk/run/eat and try a few things - at least I will be in the top 50 for a change (check the racecapacity) Wink

Tough week
Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:28 pm Paolo
Had a testing week at work, demanding deadlines, irritating colleagues all added up to going out Friday night and drinking far too much followed by 6 nuggets, double cheeseburger and chips on a midnight train....instead of the gym Very Happy

Sunday morning and I tried to undo the damage by going for a rough 6 mile cross country run on my own...thought I'd battled the slippy surfaces well and was only bottom half caked in mud, job done i thought.

Got in and mrs went barmy as I was muddy, made me feel bout twelve years old!!!!

Next week the gym and must do bike work as got the monster duathlon approaching rapidly....

2nd Feb
Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:10 pm Paolo
Cheeky 7 mile run at night, very cold. Not fast but felt good to be honest, think time were round 58 minutes. Mo Farah not need to be afraid just yet mate.....

Lets get 2013 going.....
Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:02 pm Paolo
My triathlon life started back in 2000 I think it were, a mate and I entered the London tri, did no training, finished and loved it.

Following year we entered the Bournemouth triathlon when it was was mostly the army champs....very proud to admit I got the loudest cheer for being last out of the water, made my absolute day Very Happy

From then, got drunk through life, carried on working in an office in London, met a girl, got married and had child's....normal life for most.

Back in 2011 when aged 35 kind of realised my life were on a fast track to nothingness...or more that something was missing, a probably better description of my situation.

Entered the Big Cow duathlon and was again bitten, couple of sprints followed by the Cowman middle and I was back...albeit slow!!!!

Into 2012 and something didn't feel right, no idea what but life was not good. Family life was great but work was hell, slowly everyday I was getting stress, long commutes and just an comfortable feeling that life was not well with me.

In the summer of 2012 again entered the Cowman and really struggled to train and enjoy the day, from there afterwards melt down occurred. Signed off work with stress and depression put on medication and had a great fight to get back....my true friends were great, others not so but hey clearly not friends.

In october got a great finish, for me, in an 8.5 mile x country and ran whole way smiling...completed a half marathon in december and thought yes I am back.

To help me moving forwards, be it to capture my lack of training or help my focus on mental strength when needed I thought I'd create one of these bad boy blogs.....hope someone somewhere reads and if anyone of course wants any help whatsoever if they think something ain't right, just drop me a pm or comment on here

March: Gin Pit double marathon

June: Back to front enigma marathons

Monster Ultra Very Happy Very Happy

Hurden 18 mile run

Cowman sprint

Cowman middle

Grafham water cross country

Bedford half marathon

Home | About TT | Privacy Policy | Terms and Conditions | Advertising | Contact TT
Copyright ©2003-2015 TriTalk®.co.uk. All rights reserved.